Labels

Painting Guides by Codex

Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Hive Fleet Leviathan Gargoyles Painted with Tips



I wanted to take some time to show off some Tyranid gargoyles that were painted in a Hive Fleet Leviathan theme. I wanted to talk about some of the scheme and how I adapted it keeping in mind that I have hundreds to paint and I am not that fast of a painter. 



The wings are extremely easy to paint.

The Skin:

Two weeks ago, I posted a quick-paint scheme for Hive Fleet Leviathan skin that I feel strikes a good balance between speed and color depth. Here is that post - Hive Fleet Leviathan skin painted quick. This scheme follows GW's scheme from the Invasion Swarms book with tweaks made for speed. You can still get the digital version of this painting guide here. It is worth the purchase!

The Wings:

After a basecoat of Rakarth Flesh, the wings are only washed with Carroburg Crimson. I feel like they look suitably organic after just the one wash.


I still have some touching up to do along edges.

The Fleshborers

This is my one point of issue with this color scheme. I am not sure how I feel about the purple and red mixing here. The red is a base of Wazdakka Red and washed with Carroburg Crimson, then highlighted up from there. Perhaps I should have washed with a Druchii Violet to link colors better. What do you think?

The Carapace

The carapace is a basic purple with a coat of Naggaroth Night with a quick drybrush of Standard Mechanicus Grey. The way the model is built creates natural shadows in places, and there are so many smooth edges otherwise that a wash was unnecessary.

Wrapping Up

I based the model (I will have a tutorial on my process before long) and plan to seal them shortly. These are great looking models and I look forward to painting more. What do you think?








2 comments:

  1. Very nice work! The wings look really good for such a simple scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I would say 2-3 hours start to finish, which probably includes drying. I really am fond of the wings.

    ReplyDelete