Labels

Painting Guides by Codex

Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Dark Imperium Set WIP - Do you love painting gold trim?


If you have ever played disc golf or golf, you may know how I feel here. I am speaking of when you throw the disc (or hit the ball) and you are pretty impressed, only to stand at your ball or disc and look back at the tee-off area to see that you did not throw it that far at all. That is how I feel this week about my painting.

I have been hard at work on assembling and painting my Dark Imperium set. I have spent about 6 hours this week painting, and the amount of time needed to paint all the trim with Balthasar Gold has exceeded my expectations.

Let's take a look:




 The Death Guard with their accompanying heroes have so many details. They are beautiful models. I primed the models in black and then based them with the new Death Guard Green Spray. This spray is one of the better GW sprays that I have used. The coverage was great, whereas colors like Mephiston Red have been more hit and miss.


I added a Nurgle Dreadnought to my group of Death Guard. I am still working on the edging for this model and a few of the Death Guard today. I am using Balthasar Gold for all of the trim. I snapped off the banner for the Dreadnought. That thing is flimsy!



The Bloat Drone was fun to paint so far. I look forward to seeing how this model will come together. There were squads of 7 of these in the Dark Imperium book. Perhaps I should invest in another one?

The Ultramarines (Primaris) were primed in Black and based with GW spray Macragge Blue. I then washed the models with Nuln Oil. I should have done a controlled recess wash with the Nuln, but instead decided to do a full wash and follow up with a drybrush of Macragge Blue to offset the darkened blue color before moving on to highlights.


I decided to paint Kairos Fateweaver during this time as well. I continued with the plan of a black prime with a basecoat of Macragge Blue. I then continued with a basecoat of Kantor Blue over the darker areas of the model. I then washed the same areas with Drakenhof Nightshade and then the recesses with Nuln Oil.  He will be fun to paint.


I often mow the lawn in different patterns to keep it from being too mundane of a task. I am painting with a different 'look' this week by painting one step at a time for each of my current WIPs to keep it fresh. We will see how that turns out. 

What do you think? Have a great Wednesday.


9 comments:

  1. They look great dude, interested to see how it turns out but you've made a smashing start, I feel your pain with the seemingly endless hours of colours but it will be worth it in the end ! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and I hope to have much more done with these by next week. Thankfully the GW roll-out of new models is slow. That is a godsend right now.

      Delete
  2. Sometimes this approach works, sometimes it doesn't. I do have a bunch of stuff that I've done basically like this, but I also have a bunch of half-painted stuff that I started doing in batches like this and then never got back to.

    Your results here are definitely looking good. Way better than mine at this point. My first couple of colours always go on super sloppy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to the half-painted batches. I have plenty of those. Thanks for the compliment. I just like to change up the painting strategy.

      I have a requirement that I do not need to play with painted models currently, just models that are at least based. That was the aim of getting a coat down on each of them.

      Delete
    2. This is generally my approach it can be a little disheartening if you are a slower painter like me, as you can end up with 40+ models halfway painted with no real progress.

      However when you get to the end being able to complete those 40 models in a few sessions is pretty awesome.

      Delete
    3. I am not very fast either. That is one thing I am working on this year. I painted only 42-43 models last year. I hope to get up to about 100 this year. Is that about where you are?

      Delete
    4. I think I came in at around that for the year, although this year its likely to be more than double that with the number of marines I have that are nearly there lol.

      Delete
  3. Wow you have been busy haven't you? At least I am not that bad of a hobby butterfly. They are looking well and starting to come together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I try to do at least one 'thing' for the hobby each day.

      Delete