Labels

Painting Guides by Codex

Sunday, June 4, 2017

Iron Warriors Tactical Squad Complete - Iron Within! Iron Without!


Let's take a look at some MK III Iron Warriors painted in a style found in the Golden D6 issue 6 (link). Surprisingly, this is the first time I EVER painted a tactical marine squad. Iron Within! Iron Without!

More after the break:


Steve here, with a squad that I have been working on for a few weeks. I do not play Chaos - though the contents of the blog would suggest otherwise. I do love painting Chaos models, however.

Tactical squad with a heavy bolter and melta gun. Sergeant has a thunder hammer

I saw the tutorial for a very gritty Iron Warrior tactical marine in issue 6 of the Golden D6, and bought this squad on eBay to test out the scheme. There were a lot of opportunities to advance my painting skills during this project. I believe that this will be the start of a small Iron Warriors force. I look forward to digging deeper into the lore of this Legion.


The tutorial itself was not too difficult to follow. It had about 20 steps and took me about 2 hours over the course of two weeks to complete the squad.


The sergeant, in particular, was fun to paint with his banner. I decided to go with a different color of parchment to keep with the gritty scheme. I was even uncomfortable with the green. I was daydreaming whether they were living greens or fake floral that you could purchase at a craft shop...


The hazard stripes were particularly fun to work with. Averland Sunset is a go to when painting over a darker color. The idea of a red/brown wash (I used Rhinox Hide) over the yellow to mute it worked really well. Imperfection was acceptable, which fits in perfectly with my painting ability. =)


I have seen it on many blogs as a suggestion, but this was the first time that I used purple wash or ink to shade gold. This worked really well. In this case, the gold I used on the trim was Retributor Armor. The ink was Druchii Violet


The paint scheme includes a lot of washes. Except for the trim, the tutorial includes a lot of washes which made a lot of the painting time waiting for parts to dry. The squad markings were done with a Micron Brush Marker (Brown). They were not perfect, but are moderately consistent across the squad.


Let me know what you think of this scheme. It is less colorful than a lot of Iron Warriors schemes that I have seen. That being said, they have that legion's flavor still and definitely look like a dark force on the tabletop. I look forward to expanding this collection.





3 comments:

  1. Iron Within!

    Those are looking very well Spoticus. Bravo. I plan to add 15 tactical marines to my own Iron Warriors in time.

    Just to note in 30K those are a veteran squad, tacticals can only have bolters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up. I do not play 30k, but want to keep the possibility open if I want a 7th edition fix. I wanted to promote the Golden D6 through this post as well. It is a fantastic hobby magazine.

      Delete
  2. I have had some comments across different mediums that the models are too dark and not 'iron'y enough. I have added another drybrush of Necron Compound to lighten them up a little. Community painting at it's best! I will post tomorrow to see if they are better received.

    ReplyDelete