Labels

Painting Guides by Codex

Monday, May 1, 2017

Ulantor, the Red Doom Appears! - A House Taranis Imperial Knight Showcase


Ulantor is the pilot of the Red Doom, a famous Knight Paladin for House Taranis. Today, I wanted to showcase the model and tease a later set of posts about my Slaanesh Subjugator Titan.


The biggest problem I come away with from my build is the separation that occurred when I moved the chainsword arm.
House Taranis calls Mars home and is one of the oldest knight houses. I have not immersed myself much into the different knight houses in Warhammer, so I chose this one after seeing a great painting video from Duncan, whose videos helped me become a better painter.


I used 'Ard Coat on the skylight above him.
Ulantor and his history can be found in Forgeworld's Horus Heresy's Rulebooks. He is known for his victories over the Dark Mechanicum.


For me, he has seen battle several times, but never under my control. He has been assembled and painted for over a year and I have yet to use him myself. Shame on me! I suppose that comes with being a hobbyist first and a player second.


The metallic scheme above is used for most of my Ork vehicles as well. A basecoat of Leadbelcher followed by random pieces painted in whichever bronzes and golds I have in stock. I then give two washes of Nuln Oil. With Ork vehicles, I give one wash of Nuln Oil and one wash of Agrax Earthshade. I love it.

That is my scratch-built Slaanesh Subjugator Titan on the right, but that is a post for another day!

Here is a teaser above for later posts and WIP. Scratch-built this titan two years ago. I saw a WIP somewhere long defunct and went about building one myself matching the Epic model below. A Slaanesh subjugator titan!


Below is the first video of four that I followed to paint the Red Doom. Enjoy, and comments and critiques are welcome!

4 comments:

  1. Nice! I have to admit, tho, I'm more interested in the teaser for the Subjugator than the Loyalist Knight. I've always loved the old Slaanesh Epic Knights/Titans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Imperial Knight is well done but I am with Westrider on this.

      Delete
    2. Alrighty then, looks like that will make up my weekend posts. It is a scary project because it represents my lack of skill as a novice with greenstuff modelling. At the same time, I am proud that I set a goal with it and got it made. Maybe it is finally time for a WIP and paint over the next few weeks.

      Delete
    3. Taking on those scary projects is how you get better. I'm getting ready to start back in on one of them myself, a converted Keeper of Secrets that I'm really scared of screwing up the paint job on.

      Delete