Labels

Painting Guides by Codex

Saturday, May 6, 2017

Our most memorable hobby mistakes - A Legion Moritat Story




Steve here, with a fun start to the weekend by asking a fun question: What are some of your best hobby mistakes? This is a light-hearted post.

The premise here is that I was in the middle of destroying one of my new Legion Moritats that I bought from Forgeworld (link) and I grew nostalgic thinking about all of the models I have screwed up in the last year or so. Sad at the time, but fun to think about now.

Below are some of my recent failures, what are some of your recent hobby fails?

The Legion Moritat

The Legion Moritats recently released by Forgeworld have such a great look to them as gunslingers. Rules aside, these are amazing models. I pre-ordered both types and they came in the mail recently. They will join my Blood Angels army (which sadly is mostly unassembled).

The fail with these models is that the ammo lines that connect the guns to the power armor are straight pieces of resin and fairly brittle. While I was successful in heating and bending the plasma pistol wielding Moritat, I did not have enough patience with the Volkite wielding Moritat and it broke in several places on along these ammo feeds. Now I am left shaving and molding green stuff that I used to attach the lines. Green stuff is still magic to me in the hobby, so this worries me.

They still do look awesome though!
Captain Centos

I was in line to pick up Captain Centos on release day and I was very excited. He was actually affordable. He is a good looking model, though he is a bit static in his stance.

The fail with our good captain here is when I got home and began to assemble him, I lost one of his arms. This was almost immediate, and only magic or the divine could have lost a piece this quickly and completely. Very odd and silly. 

He will now take his place as a sergeant in one of my tactical squads. I will still name him Centos.








Tau Drones

Last but not least was my first set of Tau drones. I do not collect Tau, but had a squad of fire warriors made from the Kill Team box. I personalized each fire warrior and was really happy with the start of that kill team. The fail is when I glued the guns on to the drones backwards because I was not clearly looking at the direction of the antennae on the top of the drones. I had to cut them off and re-glue them on - almost straight.

Wrap Up

I will not mention go into detail about gluing every Land Raider front door shut by accident. What are your best hobby blunders? There has to be more out there than just me? Right? Right?

I look forward to hearing about them from you. Have a great night!




15 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Man, seriously, thanks for sharing. Hearing you talk about your frustrations and how you've found some positive benefits (learning to repair) from your struggle with emotions is really meaningful to me. It's not often I get to read something as honest sounding as this.

      Here's to learning to build a productive relationship with anger.

      Delete
    3. It seems like a lot of us started in that 1992 - 2nd edition time period. That is where I was at too. My painting and modelling skills were so rough back then.

      The despair you can feel when something breaks after so much effort into it I can relate to. That happens a lot with my kids and the daily effects of letting them play with the models.

      I appreciate the comments and the honesty with your post! I was hoping to have us dig a bit and think about our fails and stresses that sometimes come with the hobby.

      Delete
  2. We've got a thing in my local group about phrases that sound really bad in any other context. Stuff like "Crap! I just lost half a dude's torso!" ;)

    I had a 2nd Ed Predator that I never quite figured out how I screwed up the sponsons. They were upside down or partly backward or something. Never did manage to get them to fit right. Eventually just used a ton of pins and green stuff.

    The most painful one, tho, was the time I found out that on a hot day, the combination of direct sunlight and what reflects off my sliding doors gets things warm enough to soften FW resin: http://cascadiangrimdark.blogspot.com/2016/05/kytanfall.html

    I did eventually manage to fix it tho: http://cascadiangrimdark.blogspot.com/2016/06/kytan-reborn.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Ouch. Losing expensive resin can be tough. My gaming table and models used to be in my garage. I guess I am lucky I did not suffer that issue.

      That Lord of Change must be a bit small today compared to the new one. I heard in the fluff though that there is one Lord of Change that is very very small though - named Queek or something like that.

      As for the Forge World molds, my Forgeworld goods have had their issues too.

      Delete
    3. I saw the Kytan. That was very sad to read about. I thought that you fixed it very well.

      Delete
  3. I don't know about mistakes, but I've made some pretty bad things intentionally!

    As a kid, when I wanted a skink shaman, I got a regular plastic skink and glued a clear plastic flight stick to it as a staff! It wouldn't fit in his hand (hand was what too small) so I cut his hand off and just painted another one round the shaft. Ouch...

    I think I've still got the model somewhere too. I like to be reminded how bad I sucked sometimes too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The legend will never die! Let's take a moment to remember our horrible conversions. Lame Bikey man, peg-leg, the bird dwarf, the Pkunji Rider and all of those freaks we made from old Lizardmen/skeleton shield emblems. Some people shouldn't be allowed miniatures.........

      Delete
    2. I trash-bagged my first run of Warhammer Fantasy about 15 years ago while trying to clean the house. Sadly, that left me with fewer stories to share of the past.

      Thanks for sharing. We all have to start somewhere!

      Delete
  4. Thankfully a lot of my early stuff is lost to the sands of time and my memory cannot drag it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. Same here - I still wish I had all of those metal 2nd edition fantasy dragons and wyverns - even though they had so much glue on the wings and necks that it was a solid coat about an eighth of an inch thick.

      Delete
  5. My first attempt at hobbying was a big mistake. I needed to undercoat some Orc for my fantasy army. I went to the local hardware store and got some "Plasti-kote", which I thought would be perfect for plastic models. Turns out the spray covered them in a thick sheet of plastic-like coating, completely obliterating any details on the model. Learned my lesson after that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laughed when I read this for the first time. I have used plati-kote before. Could you peel that off? Not easily I imagine.

      Thanks for sharing!

      Delete