Labels

Painting Guides by Codex

Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Change is coming! Herald on Burning Chariot Painted with guide


Steve here and all I can say about this model is finally! I forgot how long single models take to paint compared to squad level painting as easy as Horrors! The Burning Chariot marks the completion of three models that take me beyond my painting totals for 2016 - up to 49 models. I am very proud of that achievement.

I spent a lot of time on the Burning Chariot. I came away from it very pleased, save for a few parts that I could have agonized over for awhile - mainly the staff glow. I really loved the model and some of the neat challenges that it brought to the table. Let's take a look, and I will talk about how I approached different parts of it.


The Herald:

I modelled my Herald after artwork found in the Age of Sigmar Chaos Battletome - Disciples of Tzeentch. There was a really cool image that showed a Herald with a mix of blue and pink. I decided to use that idea on this model to differentiate him from his brethren.

The Pink Skin:

I work from Pink Horror (B) -> Carroburg Crimson (W) -> Emperor's Children -> Screaming Skull in my progression on my wet palette. These colors after the wash are all dry brushed, so the timeline of completion is fast.

The Blue Skin:

I work in reverse from my Blue Horror Scheme. Start with Fenrisian Grey and feather it on to the pink. I believe that Altdorf Guard Blue was next, followed by Caledor Sky. I believe I blended these with Guilliman Blue

The Head:

I used Averland Sunset and washed the head with Reikland Fleshshade. I then layered Averland again, and highlighted with Screaming Skull. I chose a lighter blue for the eyes.

The Gold:

I went with my typical Tzeentch theme for Golds, going with Retributor Armor, washed with Reikland Fleshshade and highlighted with Runefang Steel.

The Feathers:

I used Ulthuan Grey for my basecoat and washed with Drakenhof Nightshade. I then drybrushed with Ulthuan Grey again.

Gems:

I went with Spiritstone Red, Green, and Blue over Stormhost Silver for my gems. They work pretty well.

The Tomes:


I used a great guide from Miniwargaming to complete the leather part of the tomes. Here is the link below. I really like the eyes and how these turned out. I used a mix of blacks and greys to paint the leather itself.




The inside of the tomes were painted with Rakarth Flesh and washed with Agrax Earthshade. They were then layered up with more Rakarth Flesh, and highlighted with Pallid Wych Flesh.

I then used Black, Brown, and Red Pigma Brushes by Sakura Color Products. These are commonly referred to as Micron Pens (link to an explanation post). They rock.

Being a math teacher, I could not help but put some function family graphs on some of the tomes. I wish I had a blue brush pen. That will be the next purchase. These brushes are only about $3.00 each.





The Staff:

I wanted the staff to be black with green and silver highlights, so I painted it in Abaddon Black and then washed it with a watered down Caliban Green. I then drybrushed Necron Compound over the whole (wooden?) part of the staff.

The blue flames follow the blue color of the Herald. The Green glow is a mix of almost every green I had as I tried to show a glow from the eye of the staff. Not my finest moment. =(

The Cloth:

I worked with my blues again here to tie in many of the colors I have been using. I used some bronze metallics for the raised areas here.

In my next post, I will talk more about the painting of the chariot itself. This post has about run its length. I hope that you enjoyed and that it was helpful to you. If I could suggest one thing, it would be to invest in some Micron pens and brush pens. (link to an explanation post). They have a place in your hobby toolkit! C&C welcome, please tell me what you think!

Have a great day.





 


4 comments:

  1. Looks well chief, bravo. A lot of effort went into that and it shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I wanted to move faster, but this model required more time. I love the non-grimdark feel of Tzeentch.

      Delete
  2. That looks fantastic! Having been a math major myself, I particularly like what you did with the books. Another idea I may have to borrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Things like this add that level of personalization to your own projects that makes them special.

      As a math person you may appreciate - I use 40k dice probabilities as warm-ups sometimes. 'What is the probability of rolling a 3 or more on a die, then rolling a 4 or more, then rolling less than a 3, then rolling less than a 5? How many rolls would be needed to have 6 successes?' I talk about how these are probabilities I need to calculate on the fly in a hobby I am in, and use it to show how useful math can be out of the classroom.

      That probability situation above is of course the number of poison shots that would be required to kill a Wraithknight from Kabalites.

      Delete