Labels

Painting Guides by Codex

Monday, April 17, 2017

Horrors of Tzeentch and Chariot Painting WIP Oh, the Horror! Day 4


Steve here, I hope that you have had a great holiday weekend if you celebrate. Tonight I wanted to show you a set of WIP for Oh, the Horror! week as I build a detailed painting guide for my Herald of Tzeentch on a Burning Chariot and more Pink Horror models.

Let's get started with progress on the Burning Chariot.




Herald of Tzeentch on a Burning Chariot - Magical Energy



 I have many sub-assemblies for this model, as the paint schemes vary greatly from piece to piece. I started with the magical energy as the February White Dwarf describes it. My painting steps will use it's three step guide for Tzaangor Skyfires as a baseline.

Primed: white

My first step after the priming was to wash the whole model in Coelia Greenshade.

I then drybrushed Ulthuan Grey quite heavily on the model.

The blue tendrils are going to be attached to two Screamers of Tzeentch. I blended Kantor Blue down the tendril gradually adding more and more water onto the brush and blending it into the green the further down the tendril I got. The picture does not do justice to how pleased I was with this technique.

Next steps:

There are little flames within this part of the model. I plan on painting these in a reverse highlight of the different colors used on the Screamers to tie these pieces of the model together.

I also need to blend in the highlight colors for the Screamers on the tendrils to the left.


Herald of Tzeentch on a Burning Chariot - Disc of Tzeentch


Notice the feet where the Pink Horror Herald will be added.

I am really happy with the color scheme here, though I was not as accurate as I would like with the painting. This scheme follows the same guide for the Skyfires in February's White Dwarf magazine.

Primed: Black, with a spray coat of Leadbelcher over it.

Steps:

First, I washed the top of the disc with Druchii Violet. I did this on the design parts of the spikes protruding from the disc as well. I did not touch the bottom of this piece. I touched up the spikes and silver metal designs around the outside of the disc with Leadbelcher when the wash dried.

Next, I painted most of the design and raised pieces in Retributor Armor. I washed this color with Reikland Fleshshade. The raised objects on the sides of the spikes were also painted in this way.

Next Steps:

I need to highlight the gold and silver portions here, as well as start painting the tomes. I am nervous about painting the text on these books.

Herald of Tzeentch on a Burning Chariot - Screamers of Tzeentch



I am using this guide by GMP Miniatures to paint my Screamers, though without an airbrush. So far, I have only basecoated the models in Kantor Blue.

Next Steps:

I will be drawing up the highlights of the model and paint the lighter underside. Very early in this portion of the model.

Pink Horrors of Tzeentch - Skin Tones


My paint scheme for Pink Horrors was found here. I loosely followed this painting guide and will write about my process here. There are a few interesting guides here and I want to paint these Horrors a few different ways and figure out what works best for me. My wet palette above shows the colors used (except for the wash) for the skin. I will be mixing these colors of Pink Horror -> Emperor's Children -> Screaming Skull to gradually draw up the colors of these Horrors. Below I will show the process, or at least the start of it.

Pink Horror based over a prime of white

Primed: white

Steps:

I started tonight with a basecoat of Pink Horror over the white prime coat. I am currently watching the Carroburg Crimson wash (not pictured) dry on the models.

Next Steps:

I will mix some of the Pink Horror and Emperor's Children together and drybrush that mix on the model. I will then drybrush just Emperor's Children, and so on - gradually going zenithal with my highlights and mixing in the Screaming Skull. Not too bad!

I hope that this update can help you get started on some Tzeentch models or some Horrors if that is where you are in your hobby. What do you think?




2 comments:

  1. Heh. I made the mistake of gluing my Herald on there before painting. Trying to get all that detail with it in place is a nightmare. You definitely made the right call working in sub-assemblies here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I glued everything last night except for the Herald. Look forward to posting about it tonight. Quite a beautiful model.

      Delete