Labels

Painting Guides by Codex

Thursday, April 13, 2017

Blue Horrors of Tzeentch Oh, the Horror! Day 2: Petty Automatons


Pink Horrors are the Lesser Daemons of Tzeentch. They are described as gleeful, and sing and dance as they make their way up the battlefield. They will kill you, but will do so with a happy demeanor. These creatures are tough to completely kill - when they are finally destroyed, they split into two halves, which shape themselves into smaller Blue Horrors. Unlike the Pink Horrors, Blue Horrors of Tzeentch are vindictive, vengeful, and petty.

Please have a look at a completed set of 14 Blue Horrors after the jump for Oh, the Horror! Day 2.




Cost concerns:

I had just as much fun painting these Blue Horrors as I did the Pink Horrors. I bought one of the new box sets from Games Workshop that includes both 10 Blue Horrors and 10 Brimstone Horrors. There is great value in that box at $35. There is also zero waste and no extra bits included.

This is smart, because you are looking at having to buy two boxes of these Horrors for each box of Pink Horrors that you buy. Overall, to cover ever split that these guys will make in their lifetime, you need to spend $100 retail for each squad of 10 Pink Horrors. That can be a bit stressful to think about. My mindset is that after the first 20-30 or so of these Blue and Brimstone Horrors are purchased, they will be dying at the same rate that they are put on the battlefield, so you will not need to have that 1:2:2 ratio as needed by the rules.


Painting:

These guys are noticeably more angry and smaller than their Pink Horror (parents?). They were an easy build as well. I used mostly a Games Workshop style paint scheme, which I will detail in a later post this week. I painted the 10 Horrors that came in the box set, with an additional four from the Warhammer Quest Silver Tower box set. Painting tutorials will be coming this weekend! You will typically be painting large numbers of these guys. I am happy to report that they respond well to drybrushing!


Flames:

To have some color coordination with the Pink Horrors, I reversed the color scheme and painted the warpfire in the same colors as Pink Horror skin. I just reversed the highlights and made white the base color, and the darkest pinks of the Pink Horror as the highlight, similar to the typical painting of fire.


Overall:

I hope you like these guys, we will be looking at them on the battlefield and in the fluff later in the Oh, the Horror! week. Please let me know what you think.

- Steve

Kamehameha! I love this picture...

4 comments:

  1. The Burning Chariot kit can also get you some extra Blues. There are three in there, I think. Now that kit can be an amazing value. With a bit of conversion work, you can end up with a Herald on Disc, 2 Screamers, 3 Blue Horrors, and an Exalted Flamer, all for the same price as a regular Herald on Disc!

    Mirroring the colour scheme for the Horrors/flames is another touch I did on mine as well. It just gives the whole lot such great cohesion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You couldn't be more right about that chariot kit. I was just looking for those extra blues. I cannot find them anywhere. Day 4 of Oh, the Horror week is going to be a WIP on the chariot with some painting steps.

      As for the painting scheme - cool that others have the same ideas.

      Delete