This is a step-by-step guide showing you how to paint Iyanden Wraithblades in an alternative fashion that makes them look a little more battle damaged and alien to match their fluff. To read more about my rational, see last night's post here (link). These were completed for the #Squaduary challenge.
The Body:I started with a wash of Casandora Yellow over the white prime job that I did. This mostly worked wonders, but offered challenges as I made mistakes with the blue and black that I was later adding to the model. I corrected this with coats of Averland Sunset followed by top coats of Yriel Yellow to match the original color. This works about 80% well. I decided that with the battle damage that I wanted to show on the models that I would have mixes of areas that are more dark than others. This really worked well in showing the wear on the figures.
Next, I did some targeted washes of Agrax Earthshade to add some contrast in areas. I continued later with some drybrushed highlights of Yriel Yellow followed up with a drybrush of Ceramite White.
I talked about in the last post how I wanted to go with a more alien look to these beings. I also talked about my inspiration from this Tale of Painters post (link). I have their heads painted a glossy black to show their spirit has been blackened with rage. This was simple here. I used Abaddon Black with one layer of Ard Coat over it.
The Armor Plates:I kept with a tried and true plan here with Iyanden, and these should tie in with the rest of my army. I started with a basecoat of Macragge Blue, followed with a wash of Drakenhof Nightshade. I highlighted with two rounds of dry brushing. I started with a drybrush all over the armor with Alaitoc Blue. I then followed with an overhead drybrush of Calgar Blue. This worked pretty well to highlight all of the spirit stone shaped bumps on the armor.
The Cloth:I started here with a coat of Alaitoc Blue. The purpose of this was to stand out, but still tie in with the other blues used in with the model. I kept it simple after this with only a very light wash of Nuln Oil in the creases of the cloth. I could have followed up with a drybrush or edge highlight of Calgar Blue or maybe even Ulthuan Grey at this point to further bring out the highlights.
The spirit stone was completed with a basecoat of Stormhost Silver with a coat of the Spiritstone Red technical paint over the top.
The Joints and Vents:They are black. =) Note: Be careful and plan for the joints covered by shoulder plates. There is no easy way to get in there after the arm has been glued to the torso. This led to a lot of corrective work for me.
The Swords:The swords were completed with help from Duncan from Games Workshop and Warhammer TV. I used his painting tutorial on Witchblades linked below. I do not like using metallics with Eldar, so this was a natural choice for me.
I used Stormhost Silver with an overcoat of Spiritstone Red for the stone, and on many of the blades used a highlight of Retributor Armor near the base. The hilt is mostly black with a light drybrush of some silver.
I am always happy with these blades when I paint them.
The Damage:I stippled black and a little bit of brown (Dryad Bark) throughout the model for this look. I killed a drybrush doing it. Get a stippling brush!
The Base:I basecoated the base with Dryad Bark and then gave a healthy coating of Agrellan Earth texture.
After this has settled and dried, washed the whole base with Seraphim Sepia. I wrapped up with a drybrush of Ushabti Bone.
I glued on some stones and Mordheim Turf, which is a great value for the money.
These bases were fast and easy to complete. I really like the way they turned out.
Conclusion:I could have spent a lot more time on these models, but I come away from this project very happy with how they turned out. I can see myself completing some updates and touch ups later, but these are destined for the case and the table.
The overall feeling of rage and anger is caught in these more alien looking Eldar. I hope that you like them.
Comment below and let me know what you think.