Labels

Painting Guides by Codex

Thursday, March 23, 2017

Bloodthirster with Magnetised Bloodletter Base - Glory to Khorne!

Bloodthirster of Khorne Showcase with Magnetized Bloodletter Base

Steve here, and taking a moment to show off a model I have completed and the method that I go about creating wound markers for larger figures. I present to you the Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury!



Painted Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury with Bloodletters Base 1
The Bloodletters are magnetized to the base
I painted this model over the course of a long time, and followed Duncan's painting techniques from the Warhammer TV videos. I will link in a better post than I did months ago. I am really happy with how he turned out.

The Bloodletters are painted via a guide posted on YouTube by the Apathetic Fish. His YouTube channel is a great source of inspiration for painting.

Below, I talk about the base and how I used the Bloodletters as wound markers.















Bloodletters swarming around a greater daemon of Khorne!
The magnets were not too large, smaller than their feet, but still sturdy.
Wound Markers

The Bloodthirster has five wounds in the current ruleset of 40k. I took five Bloodletters, including a banner bearer and a champion and magnetized each of their feet.

This required 20 magnets total - 10 on the Bloodletters and 10 on the base itself. I remove a Bloodletter each time the Bloodthirster takes a wound.
Bloodletters are painted with a guide from the Apathetic Fish You Tube channel
Basing

I based with a mix of Agrellan Earth and Stirland Mud with some additions of Mordheim Turf. I can sometimes be too mechanical and thrifty with my materials - I only allow myself to use 1 turf piece per wound of the model.

Cheap, I know - but it also is a good reminder how many wounds a model has if I cannot fit wound markers on it.








Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury with Bloodletters Painted - Fortress Erioch
Blood for the blood god!
Gallery

Here is the gallery of the paint jobs. I am still learning about photo box use and photo editing, but these are definitely better images than I have previously posted.

Going to continue with reposts and image upgrades over the next few months.

Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury with Bloodletters of Khorne painted and magnetized with wound markers
The range of colors in the red spectrum was really enjoyable to work with here.

Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury with the Lash of Khorne Painted
Always glue the lash hand on after painting it. Ridiculous otherwise.

Behold the Bloodthirster's rage!
The face only a mother could love. =)


6 comments:

  1. Good work and nice painting.
    I do think the bloodletters make the model look a little cluttered, but that is without seeing it on the battlefield were I am sure it shines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. If you prefer a cleaner base, it is definitely cluttered. This is more of a swarm look.

      Delete
    2. Can't wait to see it with an army shot, will look ace that way.

      Delete
    3. I hope to have an army painted for Khorne sooner or later. I mostly paint chaos for fun and for my little brother. I never play them, and they take up 80% of my painting! By summer, I should have a small daemonkin army to show off.

      Delete
  2. The blood letters are an awesome idea! I could see doing that with Tyranids as well. As a figure piece, yes it looks cluttered, but on the gaming table it would look (and work) really well. Great job on the paint job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated. They do work very well for Tyranids and all sorts of flyers as well. I like the idea of Nurglings where they apply as wound markers, those metal slave girls as markers for your Dark Eldar lord, and scarabs for Necrons. So many opportunities for cool ways to display wounds.

      Delete