Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Angron - Primarch of the World Eaters Painting Guide

I have been using Canva for some of my blog headers.

I am building off of my post from yesterday with some painting notes from Angron. I was excited about completing this model, and was able to finish him tonight.

Backstory:

I bought Angron about two years ago and started painting him about a year ago. I started with this guide. I did not finish unfortunately. Tale of Painters just had a blog post about a completed Angron. I really liked the emotion captured by Angron in Banzai1000's paint job. I decided to pull Angron off the shelf to complete. I was pretty happy with how he turned out.

Image Inspiration:




Let's get to the paint job - after the break:



The Armor:

The armor was completed last year, and I find that my skill and tastes have changed. I used this blog which focuses on Angron's armor only. I used Citadel paint colors as a substitution for all non-citadel paints. This was my starting point this year.

For the armor, I felt that it was too dark to begin with this time around. I highlighted the armor with Retributor Armor.


The Leather:

I base coated the leather straps with Rhinox Hide. I then highlighted with Mournfang Brown and finally with a small edge highlight of Tuskgor Fur. The silver buckles were painted with Leadbelcher and highlighted with Stormhost Silver.

There were only a few straps to paint here.

The Red Leather:

I based the red leather with Khorne Red. I then painted all studs with Leadbelcher and the metal buckles at the bottom of each red strap in Retributor Armor. I then washed with Agrax Earthshade. 

I followed up with a highlight of Evil Sunz Scarlet. This was mostly an edge highlight. I could have gone further with some edge highlighting of the gold, but chose not to. All of this can be used for the red parts of his armor near his head and under his breastplate.

The Axes:

I was disappointed in the axe design. Kharne's Gorechild is much more detailed than Angron's Gorechild. I've even thought of buying a new Kharne to replace an axe. Really not happy there.

 I painted the silver chains on the axes and all over the model in Leadbelcher. I followed up with a wash of Nuln Oil. I then highlighted in Runefang Steel.

I painted the red leather handles on the axes in Rhinox Hide. I then coated all raised areas in Khorne Red and highlighted in Mephiston Red.

I painted the axe blades in the same silver as above, and the metal above Angron's hand in Retributor Armor. I stippled that gold with Leadbelcher to give a worn affect.

I washed the gold in Agrax Earthshade. I washed the axe as above with the silver and also highlighted it with Runefang as above.

I stippled Blood for the Blood God where appropriate. I really liked this paint, and this was the first time that I used it. In one place I added another metallic color to give some diversity, this is not necessary.

Base:

I based the base =) in Mechanicus Standard Grey and Rhinox Hide. I then added a layer of Leadbelcher where appropriate. 


I then washed the base in Nuln Oil and Agrax Earthshade. Which part I washed with which depended on the object. Stone and metal - Nuln. Dirt - Agrax.


I added Blood for the Blood God on the marine, which I painted as a World Eater. My thinking is that he was killing a loyalist World Eater.

The Face (and skin):

What is in a face? I wanted to capture emotion here. I spent the most time on the face.

I base coated the face with Bugman's Glow. I then painted all raised areas with Cadian Fleshtone. I then washed the face with Reikland Fleshshade. I then highlighted with a mix of Kislev Flesh and Slaanesh Grey to add some wear to his face. I mixed some Kislev Flesh and Pink Horror to paint Angron's lips. I painted his eyes and teeth white and washed them with Bloodletter. I used a micron pen to paint the eyeballs in. Holy cow it did not turn out too bad. I used both Khorne Red and Blood for the Blood God to paint his war paint. I may have dabbled in some other layering here to feather in the colors, but this was just for little effects here and there.

The Hair:

I painted the hair in Rhinox Hide and Retributor Armor for all the metallic ridges. I then washed the whole area with Rhinox Hide and highlighted with Kislev Flesh. I did not want to draw too much attention away from his face and expression.

The Chainmail:

I painted the chainmail in Leadbelcher and washed with Nuln Oil. I wrapped up with a highlight of Runefang Steel.

Imperial Eagle (on belt):

I painted the edges in Retributor Gold and the wings in Abaddon Black. I then highlighted with Eshin Grey. This was fast.

Cloak:

This was a mix of Rhinox Hide and Lahmian Medium to base on the fur. I drybrushed in Doombull Brown and Mournfang Brown. I may even have added some Steel Legion Drab in as a drybrush. The chains were done as labeled above. The skulls were painted with Ushabti Brown and washed with Agrax Earthshade. I then layered with Ushabti and highlighted with Screaming Skull.

On the inside of the cloak, I based in Rhinox Hide and layered with multiple thin layers of Cadian Fleshtone. I washed with Seraphim Sepia. This was not enough, so I added an Agrax Earthshade wash in the recesses. I then layered the raised areas with Cadian Fleshtone and Kislev Flesh.




To wrap it up:

This time around, it took me about 3 hours to complete this model. I say that, but I do not really have an exact time. I really hope this helps out someone looking to tackle this project. 

Please let me know what you think and have a great night.








2 comments:

  1. He looks fantastic and great write-up on painting him, I don't see many guides on painting the primarchs for some reason. I like the facepaint you did, matches really well to the art work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I am still learning when it comes to faces, but when it comes to this model I feel like I took a small step forward.

      Delete